Many Samsung and Nexus devices have received KitKat OTA updates in past few days. While some of these updates are KitKat 4.4.2, many Nexus devices and few of the Samsung devices are now receiving KitKat 4.4.3 update.
KitKat 4.4.3 updates doesn’t bring any new features but provide bug fixes and enhancements. Although, some of the apps such as the Dialer app have received a UI update. Dialer app is now card based and contacts are prioritized according to how often we use them.
Since the updates are available in form of OTA (Over-The-Air), it might be a while until updates are available for all the users. Luckily, you don’t have to wait for days to run the latest firmware on your device. If you have custom recovery such as ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your device, you can use it to install the OTA.
OTA updates are incremental updates, not complete Android OS image. Thus, you need to be sure that that you are running the second newest firmware. For example, users interested in installing the latest KitKat 4.4.3 firmware must be on the latest KitKat 4.4.2 firmware. If a user running on lower KitKat 4.4.2 tries to install the latest KitKat 4.4.3, the installation process will fail.
How to Install OTA update using ClockworkMod Recovery
- 1You will need the OTA file (Obviously), rename it to Android-OTA.zip to reduce the complexity of the filename.
- 2Install the device drivers of your mobile, if not already present. Then connect your device to PC.
- 3Now send the Android-OTA.zip to your device’s SD card.
- 4Turn off your device and boot into Recovery Mode. Process to enter in recovery mode can be vary from model to model and manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, for Nexus 4, hold Volume Up + Volume Down + Power buttons till you see the Fastboot menu. While on Nexus 5, holding power button + volume down key will enter you in Fastboot menu. Then pressing Volume Up many times until you enter Recovery.
- 5Use Volume buttons to scroll up/down and use Power button to select. In ClockworkMod recovery,scroll down to flash zip from SD card and select it. Next select choose zip from sdcard.
- 6Now you will be presented with list of files on your SD Card. Use Volume buttons to browse for the Android-OTA.zip file and select the file with Power button.
- 7The installation process will take some time. Once the process is complete, press back and select Reboot Now.
Your device will reboot now. Congrats, you have successfully updated your device now. To confirm, go to Settings > About phone.
Although the above post is about how to install OTA update using ClockworkMod Recovery but it can be used with any other custom recoveries such as TWRP.
If anyone tried installing OTA update using this method then please post your reviews in the comment section.